AH

AH@BadassBookReviews

A Shimmer of Angels (The Angel Sight Series)

A Shimmer of Angels  - Lisa M. Basso 4.5 -5 stars. A unique take on angels. Young adult angel books are often hit or miss for me. I was pleasantly surprised by A Shimmer of Angels. I literally devoured this book – I could not put it down. A Shimmer of Angels is in the same class as Ultraviolet (not an angel book) and it reminded me a little of Angelfall.A Shimmer of Angels is about Rayna, a teenaged girl who can see angels. Poor Rayna has been seeing angels for most of her life and as a result, has been committed to a mental health institute for the past 3 years. Throughout the book Rayna fears a relapse and a return to the mental hospital. Rayna often walks a fine line between the crazy and the sane. No sooner than she is discharged from the hospital, Rayna makes an attempt to live a normal life. She enrolls in the local school and finds a part time job at the diner she frequents with her best friend Lee. It seems that she cannot escape her angels. At school, when new student Cam joins her class, Rayna is shocked to see that he is an angel, complete with beautiful shimmering wings. At work, a black winged bad boy angel named Kade appears. Then there’s the mysterious dark angel that Rayna sees in her classmate’s artwork and in her dreams. Something is not right in this world and Rayna fears that she is going mad. I loved Rayna’s character. She is damaged, yet she has a certain lucidity about her. I found her both brave and practical. Rayna comes from a dysfunctional family. Her father still grieves his wife’s death and really doesn’t function as a father. He is emotionally unavailable to Rayna and her sister. Rayna’s little sister just wants to be normal and wishes Rayna were back in the hospital. Rayna’s best friend Lee was awesome. I adored how he was so attuned to Rayna’s needs. His use of Dr. Who references in his speech was hilarious. “Holy Daleks!” Lee had to be one of the best friends ever. The angel lore was intriguing. There were several classes of angels: The Protectors and the Warriors. There were also fallen angels. This is an angel book that is not preachy.Oh, a quick word about Kade – wow. More please. A Shimmer of Angels by Lisa Basso is an enthralling read. I can’t wait to see what happens in the next book - A Slither of Hope scheduled to release in January 2014. Thank you to NetGalley and Month9Books for a review copy of this book.