AH

AH@BadassBookReviews

Hot Blooded

Hot Blooded - Amanda  Carlson Initial thoughts: 4.5 stars+ - This one went from 0 to 60 in no time flat. Lots of action, bat-like demons, zombie mountain goats, and a psychotic goddess. This is fast becoming one of my favorite urban fantasy series. My Review:I hate to sound repetitive but WOW and DOUBLE-WOW!This series has become a new favorite for me. There’s something appealing about a strong female character, especially when she is thrown into a predominantly male werewolf culture. Add in the fact that she is the only female werewolf of her kind and that makes her all the more special. This book picks up right where Full Blooded left off. Jessica is still adjusting to her new strengths and abilities as a newborn werewolf. She is learning to manage and cooperate with her inner wolf and at the same time Jessica needs to hunt down the cruel and sadistic goddess Selene. Aided by her brother Tyler, hunky werewolf Daniel, vampire siblings Eamon and Naomi, and a reluctant human Ray, Jessica sets off to confront Selene in her mountain lair.The journey to Selene’s mountain hide-out is fraught with danger and magical booby traps set to kill. The action is non-stop. As each obstacle is neutralized or vanquished, another appears. In many ways, this book reminded me of a video game with each monster or obstacle representing a different level. Kudos to the author for creating such a mythological monster-packed tale! This book has creatures for every taste – from demon bats to giant golem type rock monsters to zombie goats – and more. I loved the characters, especially Jessica. Right from the start you realize just how unique she is. Jessica has a lot of compassion and values the lives around her. I was amazed by her wanting to keep her human nemesis Ray alive, despite all the times he dogged her when she was a detective. As she discovers her powers and abilities, Jessica makes sure that she retains her humanity. Her dominion over of her wolf is incredible; most newborn wolves cannot have that kind of control. The partial shifting is really cool, too. I can’t wait to find out exactly what Jessica really is.And we do need to talk about villains because Selene is up there in the Nasty Evil Villains of all-time list. Selene is a bloodthirsty goddess, bent on destroying Jessica and those she loves. Selene’s magic is powerful and deadly and she makes a worthy adversary. This series gets better and better with each subsequent book. I was literally on the edge of my seat from cover to cover. My only little tiny criticism is that abrupt ending. It left me wanting more! I can’t wait for Cold Blooded – coming soon in October 2013. Recommended for fans of Kelley Armstrong’s Women of the Otherworld series (especially Elena and Clay lovers), Rachel Vincent’s Shifters series, and Patricia Briggs’ Mercy Thompson series. Thank you to NetGalley and Orbit for a review copy of this book. Review posted on Badass Book Reviews.