AH

AH@BadassBookReviews

The Pirate's Wish

The Pirate's Wish - Cassandra Rose Clarke Pirates, Manticores, Magic - how can you go wrong with that? Part II of The Assassin's Curse was an action packed, exhilarating read.Fans of Cassandra Rose Clarke’s The Assassin’s Curse will be very happy to hear that the sequel The Pirate’s Wish is even more exciting than the first book. The Pirate’s Wish starts off right after the events of The Assassin’s Curse. Naji the cursed assassin must complete three impossible tasks to rid himself of his curse. He and Ananna are marooned on the ever-changing Isle of Sky. To add to their troubles, a hungry man-eating manticore has escaped and is looking to make Naji into her next meal. But first, the curse must be removed. There is so much to love about this book and this series. The world is enthralling and so original. The author has expertly crafted a diverse magical world full of intriguing characters and mythical creatures. The magic is so interesting – part dark and foreboding, part life giving. This is also a love story, although the main characters do take a circuitous route to love. The love story is not heavy on the romance, but nice just the same. In the same vein, there is also a same sex relationship as well. The journey taken by Naji, Ananna, and the ever resourceful Marjani and their crew was incredible. Pirate ship battles, interesting metallic weapons, talking sharks – all sorts of magic – they really must make this series into a movie soon. I loved the characters. I think that the manticore won my heart. Frightening, imposing, hungry, yet child-like in her perceptions, the manticore was also very calculating. I loved how she attached herself to Ananna and kind of became her “pet” (or was it the other way around?)Ananna was a little more difficult to like in this book. Yes, she is going through a lot of things and she does have a bit more than a crush on the very oblivious Naji, but she kind of grated on my nerves just a little. Marjani was one of my favorite characters – so cool, so skilled. I loved her relationship with Queen Saida.If you enjoy swash-buckling adventure, The Pirate’s Wish is a lot of fun to read. Really, pirates, magic, treasure – how can you go wrong? Thank you to NetGalley and Angry Robot for a review copy of this book.Review posted on Badass Book Reviews.