AH

AH@BadassBookReviews

Winterblaze: Number 3 in series (Darkest London)

Winterblaze - Kristen Callihan Loved it! Historical romance combined with the paranormal and a touch of steampunk makes Kristen Callihan’s Darkest London a must read series. In this third installment of the series, the spotlight is on the eldest Ellis sister Poppy and her husband Winston Lane. The focus of this novel is secrets: Poppy’s secret life and Winston’s deep dark secret past. The story is beautifully woven with flashbacks to the couple’s past. The reader learns about the circumstances of their world and their courtship. These scenes are juxtaposed with the present and the couple’s struggle in their current relationship. As more is revealed about the characters, interesting questions arise. I loved the dialogue between these two and how they worked to solve their issues. When these two do get together, their scenes sizzled, especially when they are not interrupted by murder, mayhem, or a demon. This is an intriguing world with both magic and paranormal creatures, some of which were new to me which is quite the accomplishment. I think that what I enjoy about this series is that there are original creatures mixed in with the usual werewolves, etc. The steampunk elements were mostly in the background, adding another layer in this world. I enjoyed Poppy’s character in this book. In earlier books, I must admit that I found her aloof and more of a mother figure. In this book, she shines as a fierce warrior leading Winston to think:“This was his wife? This Machiavellian creature?” Winston surprised me. I never expected him to be anything but a normal human and upright citizen. I also loved that Jack Talent and Mary Chase got more of a backstory. I can’t wait for their book Shadowdance.If you haven’t started this series yet, make sure to add it to your to-read list. Winterblaze is a solid addition to the Darkest London series. It is recommended that the series be read in order. Highly recommended.Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for a review copy of this book. Review posted on Badass Book Reviews.