AH

AH@BadassBookReviews

If You Find Me

If You Find Me - Emily Murdoch Heartbreaking, poignant tale of survival. Tissues required. If You Find Me by Emily Murdoch is a poignant, heartbreaking story of survival under horrid circumstances. It’s not your usual young adult novel. It’s the story of an extraordinary girl who raises her little sister alone in a trailer in the Tennessee woods, mere miles away from her father. The story is narrated by Carey, the 14 year old heroine of the story. Every so often there are flashbacks to Carey’s past and how she and her sister Jenessa subsisted on a limited diet in the woods. Carey is a remarkable girl, and despite the odds, she is self-taught and even taught her little sister how to read and write. I adored Carey’s voice. She had an innocence to her, a bit of naiveté, yet she also had fantastic survival skills. Her fierce loyalty to her little sister was unsurpassed. The girls are rescued by her father and a social worker. Carey and Jenessa’s lives change for the better, however there are some adjustments to be made. Jenessa was mute, refusing to speak. Carey must adjust to a new home, readily available food, school, a father she was taught to despise, and a new stepmother and stepsister. If You Find Me is an amazing debut novel by author Emily Murdoch. Do not miss this book. And don’t forget the box of tissues.Highly recommended.Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for a review copy of this book. Review posted on Badass Book Reviews.