AH

AH@BadassBookReviews

The Best of All Possible Worlds

The Best of All Possible Worlds - Karen Lord The Best of All Possible Worlds started off slowly for me. There were a lot of descriptions, and I felt that the author set up the world rather effectively. However, I did have a sense that I had seen some of these ideas in other books. Essentially, The Best of All Possible Worlds is the story of a race called the Sadiri who were almost wiped out of existence in a genocide and their quest to replenish their population with people of similar genetic backgrounds. But this book is not only that – it is kind of a travel documentary of the planet Cygnus Beta. This is kind of neat because like our Earth, each region has its own populations, customs, and other interesting flora and fauna. The book focuses on Grace Delura, a chief bio technician who accompanies the Sadiri mission on their quest to find suitable mates. The team travels from region to region, meeting and testing populations for compatibility. There is a little bit of excitement here and there, but mostly the story focuses on the mission at hand. The Sadiris reminded me a little of Star Trek’s Vulcans. It was difficult to relate to these characters – they seemed to lack emotions and functioned almost like robots. The leader of the Sadiri mission Dllenahkh was interesting, although at times I thought that he was a little oblivious. It’s kind of funny how my impressions of him did prove wrong by the end of the book. I did enjoy the interactions between Grace and Dllenahkh. Towards the end of the book, another aspect is introduced. What started off as an OK science fiction story now had the addition of fae elements. It kind of ruined the flow for me. A little note I do have one pet peeve about science fiction/fantasy books and it is the use of names with way too many consonants and not enough vowels. The main character’s name is Dllenanhkh. I had no idea how to pronounce his name, so I just called him D. This is just a personal pet peeve and it does not reflect in my overall rating of this book. I think that this book will appeal to people who enjoy science fiction with a touch of romance. The romance aspect is slowly built and is not the complete focus of the novel. There is a lot of political intrigue in this book, so if that is your cup of tea, you may enjoy it too.Thank you to NetGalley and Random House books for a review copy of this book.