AH

AH@BadassBookReviews

Just One Night, Part 2: Exposed

Exposed - Kyra Davis Initial thoughtsHmmm. I can't really decide on a star rating now. Wavering between 2 and 3 stars right now. Dave creeped me out with his psychological abuse. It bothered me that Kasie stuck around for it rather than running far away fast. And Robert, hmmm...Knight in Shining Armor, sort of. My ReviewExposed: Just One Night Part 2 is the continuation of Kyra Davis’ serialized book. After leaving the readers with a doozy of a cliffhanger, Exposedpicks up the story of Kasie and her relationship woes right after the events of The Stranger.A lot of people have expressed disgust at this book because the main character Kasie cheated on her long term boyfriend Dave. While I don’t condone cheating, I didn’t really see it as a “cheating” book. Yes, Kasie was in a long term relationship, but no, they were not yet married, nor was she 100% comfortable it. It doesn’t make her actions right; however upon reading the second installment, Kasie’s instincts were correct. "He's a million miles from happy. If he was happy, I'd have the man I once cared for, even if I don't love him. I suck in a sharp breath and like that, I finally admit the evil truth. I never loved the man I agreed to marry. I only wanted the life he provided, the orderliness, the structure, the predictability. That had seemed so important. Funny how those attributes lost their appeal. "This wasn’t a comfortable read at all. Every single alarm bell and abuse red flags were waving as I read this story. Dave pulled out all the stops to degrade, punish, and psychologically abuse Kasie for her transgressions. The psychological abuse and emotional blackmail were especially heinous. I found myself cringing, yet compelled to read on. Kasie’s actions straddled the borderline of TSTL (too stupid to live) and empowered cunning woman. She doesn’t take her situation lying down. She empowers herself to fight back, disregarding the danger of her situation. Kasie does risky things, enraging an already angry Dave, even challenging his behavior. Throughout her ordeal, Kasie is supported by her swoon worthy knight in shining armor, Robert. Robert has a way of making everything just right for Kasie. He’s a take charge kind of guy and he makes sure that Kasie is safe and sound in her world. Yet, there is a bit of a sinister aspect there as well. I enjoyed Ms. Davis writing style and it was interesting seeing everything from Kasie’s point of view. As in a serial, the reader is left wanting more. In a way, I wonder if the story would have felt more cohesive if it was offered as a full length novel rather than 3 serialized novellas. Exposed (Just One Night Part 2) is a fairly short read and I was able to read it in one sitting. I am looking forward to reading the third and final novella in this series Binding Agreement (Just One Night Part 3) which is to be published May 2013. Thank you to Edelweiss and Pocket Books for a review copy of this book.Review posted on Badass Book Reviews.