AH

AH@BadassBookReviews

The Madman's Daughter

The Madman's Daughter - The Madman’s Daughter by Megan Shepherd is a dark and creepy tale. It has a certain Gothic feel to it and as I read the first part (set in London), it felt as if I were watching an old black and white movie. The Madman’s Daughter is a retelling of H.G. Wells’ classic The Island of Doctor Moreau but told through the point of view of his daughter, Juliet. I absolutely adored Juliet. She was so bright, so strong. Juliet did what she needed to do to survive. I loved Juliet’s tenacity. When she finds out that Montgomery is taking back supplies to her father, she insists on accompanying him on the lengthy voyage. The sea voyage is difficult, and made even more interesting by the rescue of the castaway Edward. The island is a scary place. Think of the TV series Lost, and add even more strange and deadly creatures. The doctor and his staff live in an enclosed compound, to keep out the monsters. Dr. Moreau was truly a genius with a warped scientific mind. The book is well written, full of action and suspense, and a few surprising plot twists – some were obvious, others I certainly did not see coming. There is a “sort of” love triangle that was a little annoying, but if you read on, it gets resolved. The author captured the decorum of the 19th century well, especially the misogynist attitudes towards women as the weaker sex. I felt awful when Juliet was told that she could not assist her father, even though her scientific knowledge was quite advanced. As I have not read H.G. Wells book, I can’t really say how true this book remains to the original. As a retelling or reworking of the story, I found The Madman’s Daughter to be an enjoyable read and a very difficult book to put down. I’m looking forward to reading more of Megan Shepherd’s books in the future. I can’t wait to read more of her work. Thank you to Edelweiss and Harper Collins Children’s for a review copy of this book.Review posted on Badass Book Reviews.