AH

AH@BadassBookReviews

Widow's Web (Elemental Assassin Books)

Widow's Web - Jennifer Estep Exciting, riveting, a really fun read in Jennifer Estep's Elemental Assassins series. I had stopped reading this series about a year ago. I loved the world, the characters, the stories – however the books were rife with repetition, especially the characters’ eye colors. The repetition was so distracting that I had contemplated a drinking game, but then I’d never be able to finish the book. Instead, I just stopped reading the books, which was a shame because the author does tell a good story.Fast forward – read: skip ahead – (yes, I did skip books 4, 5, and 6 – apologies to those anal readers that MUST read series in order) – to book 7 – Widow’s Web. I was pleasantly surprised by this book. What a difference! The writing (or is it the editing?) has improved 100% and I can honestly say that I enjoyed this book. Gone is the endless repetition, replaced by a riveting story. I literally read Widow’s Web in two sittings, devouring page after page of action packed narrative. There’s something to be said about this world. The Elemental Assassins series is set in the extremely corrupt town of Ashland, where criminal elements vie for power, the po-po (police) is on the take, and assassins are readily available for hire. This is a diverse world, full of giants, dwarves, vampires, and humans. Some people are able to control elemental magic and their power comes from the type of magic they wield. Our heroine Gin Blanco controls stone and ice magic.Gin is one of my favorite urban fantasy heroines. Gin was raised and trained by Fletcher Lane and she is a lethal assassin known by her rune, The Spider. Gin is kick-ass, and it’s easy to imagine her decked out in black leather. Gin is surprisingly down to earth. During her down time, Gin runs the Pork Pit, a popular barbeque restaurant in town. She is surrounded by an eccentric group of secondary characters, my favorites being Finn Fletcher and Sophia, the Goth dwarf. Gin’s world changes for the worse when Salina Dubois rolls into town. Salina has her eyes on Owen and will not take no for an answer. Salina is also on a path to avenge the death of her father and she plans to take over the town. Gin has some serious butt-kicking to do. Did I miss anything by skipping ahead 3 books? Probably. I’m told that a major baddy got what was coming. Did I feel lost skipping ahead? No. I will most likely go back and read what I’ve missed – eventually.Oh, and a little side note. I would love to see the Gin Blanco cookbook one day. Gin cooks when she is stressed out and the cooking parts are so detailed that all we are missing are the recipes. So please Ms. Estep – write a Gin Blanco cookbook once the series is finished.I’m now excited to read the next book in the series Deadly Sting coming out in March 2013. (and I will go back and read the other books while I'm waiting).