AH

AH@BadassBookReviews

Release Me

Release Me - J. Kenner Here we go again. Another romance book about a gorgeous billionaire businessman (who knew that there were so many of them?) and his lady love. Meet Damien Stark, a former tennis star and now rich entrepreneur. Damien is handsome, beautiful, magnificent – insert adjectives here. In fact, he is so stunning that the first third of the book is dedicated to waxing poetic about Damien’s good looks. I get it! He’s rich and powerful and gorgeous. Can we get on with the story, please?I did like Damien’s love interest Nikki Fairchild. It was refreshing to see a character that was well educated with degrees in both electrical engineering and computer science. A former child beauty pageant participant, Nikki was a straight A student and earned a scholarship from Damien’s Fellowship committee. Nikki also knew that her looks were the reason she was hired as an assistant to the owner of a technology company. I liked that Nikki had plans for her future and those plans involved launching her own company. OK, so why the 2 star rating? I kept getting that “déjà-lu” feeling when I read this book. Sure, the sexy scenes were hot and the characters had chemistry together. BUT – I feel like I’ve already read this book before which is a shame because it really is well written. I kind of wish it had been written before the hoopla that surrounds that other trilogy.The book felt formulaic: Obscenely rich billionaire (are there any other kinds?) meets young college graduate, playful emails are exchanged, some hot and steamy moments ensue, a little kink is thrown in for good measure, a bad guy stalks the happy couple, there is a misunderstanding that causes a temporary breakup, they get back together, even more steamier sex scenes, and a happily ever after.Basically, if you loved the Fifty Shades trilogy and are looking for something similar, then Release Me is a book you will most likely enjoy. If you are looking for a nice, well written romance with a touch of kink and didn’t mind Fifty Shades, you may also like this book. Personally, I am looking for something fresh and new. Thank you to NetGalley, Edelweiss and Random House for a review copy of this book.Review posted on Badass Book Reviews.