AH

AH@BadassBookReviews

Hollowland

Hollowland - Amanda Hocking Kindle freebie 10/26/11.Loved this! Take a look at the opening line for Hollowland:This is the way the world ends - not with a whimper but with zombies breaking down the backdoor. And break the doors they do. Hollowland is the story of a world overrun by zombies. When zombies attack Remy's home and refuge, she and two other girls manage to escape to the relative safety of the outside world. There, one girl succumbs to the zombie virus and Remy and Harlow begin a journey seeking out a new refuge and the possible new home of Remy's little brother Max.The journey through this zombie infested world is harrowing. Danger lurks everywhere. The zombies seem to be getting more organized in their attacks. Bands of marauders make travel difficult. Remy manages to free a lioness who acts as both a companion and zombie hunter. I adored Ripley. At their first stop, Remy and Harlow meet Blue a former medical student, and Lazlo a former popular band member. Initially Remy is suspicious, but they travel together in search of the refuge. Creepy cultists want the girls to stay, but plot against the boys.It's refreshing to see such a strong female lead character. Remy is fierce and knows how to protect herself. She's smart, practical, and extremely resourceful. The only criticism I have of this book is that the ending was a little abrupt. Aside from that, this was a solid first book in a series. This is my first Amanda Hocking book, and it certainly won't be my last. I can't wait to read the next book in the series - Hollowmen.