AH

AH@BadassBookReviews

Heart of Danger: A Ghost Ops Novel

Heart of Danger - Lisa Marie Rice Have you ever wondered what the future looks like? Not the far, distant future, but perhaps around 10 years from now? Will we all be driving electric cars? What gadgets would exist to make our lives easier? Heart of Danger is set approximately 10 years into the future. This allowed the author to create some nifty military gadgets while poking fun at the many incarnations of the iPhone and the iPad. iPhone 15, anyone?Heart of Danger takes a disbanded Navy Seal team (the same team responsible for the assassination of Osama bin Laden, no less!) and takes them off the grid in a top secret location. Their last mission, a raid on a pharmaceutical lab, ending badly and several team members were lost. The remaining team members, along with a rag-tag group of fugitives, survivors, and others live in their mountain hideout. I loved the secret mountain community. It had a certain “James Bond Villain hideaway” feel to it, minus the monorail. This team of fugitives created the ultimate self-sufficient community inside the mountain, complete with an area to grow fruits and vegetables. The camaraderie among the residents was also very nice. The leader of this community Tom McEnroe or Mac is an imposing figure. Mac was injured on that last mission and his face was scarred. Mac’s world changes for the better when Dr. Catherine Young enters his life. Catherine is an intriguing character. She’s brainy, she’s kind, and she’s fearless. Catherine is dedicated to her life’s work and had little time for any kind of social life. It was at her work where Catherine learns of the Mount Blue compound in a rather unorthodox way. Catherine has a psychic ability. She reads the emotions of others through touch. When Catherine touched a research subject, she was surprised by his emotions, so much so that she felt the need to seek out Mac. Mac and Catherine were a fun couple to watch. At first, Mac is very suspicious of Catherine. Slowly, as his guard is let down, he allows Catherine to enter his life and the life of the compound. Mac is a little oblivious of Catherine’s attraction to him – he can’t believe that someone as beautiful as Catherine would be interested in him. A note about our villain, Charles Lee. Charles was one of those “over the top” kind of villains. The chapters written from his point of view were very creepy. This is my first Lisa Marie Rice Novel and it certainly won’t be my last. I’m looking forward to reading more books by this author and I hope that there will be more books in this series. Thank you to Edelweiss and Harper Collins for a review copy of this book. Review posted on Badass Book Reviews.