AH

AH@BadassBookReviews

Once Burned (Night Prince Series #1)

Once Burned - Jeaniene Frost Woo-hoo! Vlad's book! Can't wait. The highly anticipated Once Burned by Jeaniene Frost did not disappoint. I was expecting great things, after all this is The Vlad Tepesh aka Vlad the Impaler. There’s got to be a great story here, right? Ms. Frost delivers a great story. I was not completely awed by it; I felt that the ending was a little rushed. However, as a summer vacation book, it was a great escape read and who could ask for anything more?I liked the characters – all of them, especially Vlad and Leila. Vlad Tepesh, yes THAT Vlad. Vlad’s character was already introduced to Frost fans in an earlier Night Huntress book and from that point in time; I have been eagerly awaiting his story. Here, he shines. Vlad is bloodthirsty, ruthless, smart, cunning, and his presence demands respect. He is absolutely hot and gorgeous and his sexy side – wow. So nice to learn more about Vlad’s background and not just the bloody parts, but also about his early love life.Leila was a little difficult for me to warm up to. I liked her and was intrigued by her talent. Struck by lightning when she was 13 years old, Leila is now forced to wear a glove on her hand. Just a touch and she receives a psychic impression from the object or person she touches. Leila also short-circuits electronics which has limited her romantic dalliances and Leila has remained a virgin. Ah yes, the virgin heroine…Leila has a weird connection to Vlad right away. I loved how she was completely oblivious as to who he was. When she finds out that he is a vampire, the Dracula jokes fly, adding some humorous moments to the narrative. Vlad is able to read Leila’s thoughts which add yet another amusing dimension to their relationship. These two are smoking hot together. Is there a Chapter 32 in this book? Nope. There is a Chapter 23 and a Chapter 30. I was amused that after Leila slept with Vlad, her rank in his home changed. Chapter 30 had a very hot shower scene. Nice…There’s quite a lot of tongue in cheek vampire humor in this book. Little quips about emo vampires, Vlad watching vampire movies, etc. It was a lot of fun finding these.For Night Huntress fans, we do get a cameo guest appearance from Cat and Bones and Kira and Mencheres. While their visit didn’t really add much to the plot, it was nice to see these characters.With regards to the plot, it was a great way to push Leila into Vlad’s arms. There was lots of action, excitement, and explosions too. I did find the ending a little unsatisfying, especially since I now need to wait until March 2013 for the next book in the series – Twice Tempted. Can’t wait!Favorite Quotes: “What made you choose the name Vlad?” I asked, unable to resist adding, “It’s not the most original vampire name you could have picked after all.”Instead of being offended that little smirk was back. “I’m the only Vlad. Everyone else is merely an envious imitation.”“No wonder you need such a huge house. Your overconfidence wouldn’t fit anything smaller.”“Beautiful and diabolical. You make me impatient to claim you.” I shivered at the graze of his mouth and his seductively growled words. If he used that same tone of voice in bed, he could probably get away with skipping foreplay.“I was worried that you’d turn into one of those obsessed, emo movie vampires, and that would be embarrassing for both of us.“Review posted on Badass Book Reviews.