AH

AH@BadassBookReviews

Blood Before Sunrise: A Shaede Assassin Novel

Blood Before Sunrise: A Shaede Assassin Novel - Amanda Bonilla I love badass heroines. I love the swagger, the snarky attitude, and the way that they hold their gun, sword, or other weapon of choice. One of my favorite badass heroines has got to be Darian Charles from Amanda Bonilla’s Shaede Assassin series.In Blood Before Sunrise the second book of the series, Darian has made herself quite the “to-do” list. Topping her list is her quest to find Raif’s long lost daughter Brakae. There is also the matter of a mysterious green gem, the man from the ring, and Darian is asked to steal something powerful. Darian is also having some strange dreams too.Darian hasn’t changed much since the first book. She is, however, the only shaede able to remain corporeal day and night. That makes her very special. Darian is still stubborn and sometimes does things that put her safety at risk. This kind of bothered me as she had a whole slew of very strong, muscular men at her disposal. Darian is not the kind to ask for help even when it is clearly warranted.I loved how Darian and Tyler’s relationship developed in this book. Tyler was both Darian’s lover and her bound jinn which resulted in some sticky possessive situations. At times Tyler was overbearing, an alpha-caveman, but he was completely devoted to Darian and her safety. And wow…the sexy times were steamy hot. Part of the attraction of this series is the secondary characters. One of my favorites is Levi, the human bartender. Levi has an encyclopedic knowledge of all things preternatural. I hope that we get to learn more about him in future books. Raif is also an intriguing character. As a shaede, he is quite old. His history and background would be fascinating. And Xander – I’m not sure if I like him yet, but I do enjoy the banter between Xander and Darian. Honorable mention goes to a really cool nightclub in this book, Seven. Each room in the nightclub was based on the seven deadly sins. Definitely a great place to meet a villain. The second half of the book was my favorite. There was so much excitement and action! The trip into the fae realms was quite the trip. I loved how things constantly changed in the realms. The inhabitants were also very interesting. What an ending! I really can’t wait for the next book. March 2013 is so far away. If you enjoy dark urban fantasy add the Shaede Assassin books to your to-read list. Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for a review copy of this book.Review posted on Badass Book Reviews.You can also see our interview with Amanda Bonilla here.