AH

AH@BadassBookReviews

Eona

Eona: The Last Dragoneye - Alison Goodman Where to start? First allow me to fan girl squeal! Wow! This book was awesome! Alison Goodman creates a captivating, exciting, and incredible story.Eona is the sequel to Eon: Dragoneye Reborn. It is recommended that the books be read in order to enhance your reading experience.Eona is an historical fantasy. The reader is immersed in an Asian-type medieval world complete with magic and dragons. Central to this world is the concept of a Dragoneye: a person who controls one of each of the twelve celestial dragons. These dragoneyes control the elements, the weather, and the well-being of this world.Eona is one of the two remaining dragoneyes, the other being Lord Ido who controls the Rat dragon. Eona is a little bit of an enigma – she spent the entire last book masquerading as a boy so that she would have a chance at becoming a dragoneye. Subsequently, she was the first woman in 500 years to control the powerful Mirror Dragon. What makes this novel stand out is the story itself. Read carefully – everything is connected and interrelated. Each action has a consequence and not all consequences are positive. The magic used exacts a cost upon the recipient. If you enjoy politics and intrigue, this book has plenty of twisty turns. There is Kygo, the rightful heir to the throne and his resistance who fight against Kygo’s uncle Lord Sethon. Lord Sethon is one of the meanest, sickest characters out there. He is evil incarnate. Lord Ido, the master of the aptly named Rat Dragon comes in a close second. The magic and lore was fascinating. Just the small touches like Eona carrying around her ancestor’s death plaques was an interesting custom as was the ritual for a woman who has miscarried. In this world, the Emperor wears a large pearl sewn into his throat as a symbol of his power mimicking the pearl that each dragon wears in their neck. If the pearls are removed, the emperor dies. I was also intrigued by the use of the number twelve. The number twelve was an auspicious number in this world. The battle scenes were epic, full of magic, dragons, and a “Tasmanian devil” type demon spinning through the armies. I loved the imagery of the energy world that Eona could see when she was with her dragon. The pinpoints of Hua, the colors, the sounds, the tastes were exquisite. The way Eona’s dragon responds to her was so sensual: “Her power slid around me like a deep caress…”As for Eona herself - what an intriguing character. Eona was far from perfect and a lot of the characters either don’t like her or don’t trust her. Eona is very powerful for a 16 year old girl and her position with the emperor as his most trusted advisor, his Naiso, causes conflict. I think what endears her to me is her own conflicts with herself. She is a young woman who has feelings towards a powerful man but she has not really been a woman long enough to know what is expected of her. She is also a powerful woman in a predominantly male world and that too causes conflict.While Eona is a young adult book, it will also appeal to all readers from high school age and up. The book is beautifully written and a joy to read. Review posted on Badass Book Reviews.This book was a buddy read with Wendy and Cillian. Some of our discussion can be found here. There be spoilers in spoiler tags! This book and Eon: Dragoneye Reborn are great books to buddy read because there is just so much to discuss. Thanks Wendy and Cillian!