AH

AH@BadassBookReviews

The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden Series #1)

The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden Series #1) - OK, that was weird. When I finished this book, I was fully prepared to give it 3.5 stars. As I put together my notes to write the review, I noticed that there were a lot of things that I liked.What an interesting world. Humans are now the property of vampires and must be registered. They must report to give blood once a month and are treated as cattle. The unregistered lived their lives under the radar, lacking food and resources. Outside the walled cities, the rapids live and attack those who venture out.Our heroine Allie Sekemoto is a plucky young girl. I adored her character. She was brave, determined, resourceful, and spunky. The story is told from Allie’s point of view and you get a sense of just how dark and depressing her world is. Allie did not like her circumstances and worked to improve her condition. On one of her foraging runs outside the city walls, Allie and her friends were ambushed by rabids and left for dead. Allie is discovered by a vampire, whom she had met earlier. He offers her a chance to become a vampire:“Die as a human, or become a bloodsucker. Either way, the choice was death, because vampires were dead, they just had the audacity to keep living – walking corpses that preyed on humans to survive.”Allie’s transformation into a vampire was well done. Kanin becomes her mentor and teaches her what she needs to know to exist. Allie vows to hold on to her humanity for as long as possible.“It was true, then. I really had done the unthinkable, I’d become that which I hated most in the world. A vampire. A monster.”Kanin teaches Allie about the vampire hierarchy and she learns more about the rabids. Later, Allie is forced to separate from Kanin and she begins a life on the road. It is interesting to note that a lot of reviewers may have found that part boring. I loved the first 2 parts of the book. It just grabbed me and I wanted to learn more about Allie’s predicament and her adjustment to her new life. Allie’s journey had a “Mad Max” sort of feel for me. Allie encounters some scary characters on motorcycles. She kills them and drinks their blood. Allie struggles with the monster within her trying to find a balance for her hunger. At this point the book slowed down for me. Allie meets a group of humans who travel by night in search of Eden. There are a lot of dangers on the road and off-road – river crossings, rabids, Jackal’s gang. The general lawlessness of the world is frightening. When the group ends up in Old Chicago, Allie meets up with the Jackal. The Jackal’s total disregard for human life was frightening. I loved Zeke and in a way, he was perfect for Allie. They had a cute little young adult attraction, an attraction that could not possibly work out. I was annoyed by Ruth, one of the travelers who had a crush on Zeke. The annoyance wore off towards the end when I felt sympathy for her situation. As the leader of the humans, Jeb was an intriguing character. Part evangelist, part slave driver, part father figure, Jeb kept the group going on the seemingly endless trek to Eden. Meanwhile, Allie is having some rather strange dreams about Kanin. She knows he needs her help but she is compelled to keep on helping her human friends.This book had some excellent fight scenes and some pretty hairy moments. For me, the journey to Eden seemed long and pointless. I preferred the beginning of the book and the very end. The writing is beautiful and Allie’s point of view is poignant at times. Allie’s struggle to hold on to her humanity and her loyalty to her human companions was incredible. My only criticism of this book, aside from the pacing was that the cover model did not look like Allie. Allie is Asian, the cover model is not. The Immortal Rules is the first book in the Blood of Eden series. I can’t wait to read the next book. Thank you to NetGalley and Harlequin Teen for a review copy of this bookReview posted on Badass Book Reviews.