AH

AH@BadassBookReviews

Sandman Slim (Sandman Slim Series #1)

Sandman Slim - Richard Kadrey Sandman Slim is the story of James Stark. Stark has quite a chip on his shoulder: He was sent to Hell at age 19 and has languished there for 11 years. Stark is out for revenge and wants to kill those responsible for his time “Downtown.”Told from Stark’s point of view, the narrative voice combines a wicked sense of humor with irreverence, snark, and the need to get even with those who wronged him. Stark is a complex character: He is still grieving the death of his first love Alice. At the same time, there doesn’t seem to be a car in L.A. that cannot be hotwired by Stark. Stark is adept at all kinds of weapons use. He is also a magician, but he hesitates to use his magic for fear of attracting the attention of the Hellions. Stark is also difficult to kill, a definite asset in his world. The world building is quite extensive and the use of L.A. and its’ seedy side adds a dark, urban feel to this book. Stark’s memories of his time in Hell and his descriptions of the various factions at war there add color and texture to the narrative. I was also impressed by the variety of different paranormal creatures. While there were the usual angels, demons, and vampires, there were also the Kissi – a freaky kind of fallen angel. One of my favorite characters was a Jade – a kind of vampire with shark teeth. The eclectic mix of characters makes this book very interesting. I loved Vidocq, Stark’s old friend and companion. Allegra, the Goth video store clerk was a surprising character. Candy the Jade was a perfect partner for Stark. The story is well paced and there are some fantastic action sequences that kept me on the edge of my seat. Stark and his friends like their guns and know how to use them. My only criticism of this book is that there were absolutely no chapter breaks. I never really could tell where I could stop and take a break. Not a big problem; I finished the book fairly quickly. Favorite quotes“Now you are thinking like a thief. Fewer guns and more exits. We’ll cure your cowboy ways yet.”“We’re monkeys in trees one day and the next we’re monkeys with dental hygiene and cell phones. Best of all, we don’t throw shit at each other anymore.”Review posted on Badass Book Reviews.