AH

AH@BadassBookReviews

Firelight: Number 1 in series (Darkest London)

Firelight - Kristen Callihan Wow. Captivating. Compelling. I could not put this book down.Firelight by Kristen Callihan was a pleasant surprise. I’m not usually a historical romance reader, but I was enthralled by the rich detail and the beautiful writing style. Firelight combines historical romance with a touch of the paranormal and adds in just the right amount of mythological lore.In a way, Firelight reminded me of The Phantom of the Opera and Beauty and the Beast. This is not a retelling of those tales – instead the author creates her own original story and weaves in some intriguing paranormal elements.Set in London in the 1880’s, Firelight is the story of two special characters. Lord Benjamin Archer is a “tortured” character in that he is an outcast, forced to wear a mask to cover his disfigurement. Miranda also has her own issues – she has the ability to start fires. Miranda is not a damsel in distress. She is quite capable of self-defense with a sword and her bravery and passion seem uncharacteristic for women of her time. Watching Archer and Miranda’s relationship progress was satisfying. There was a slow buildup to their passion and I loved how they learned to trust each other. Their scenes together smoldered. Greenhouses and alleyways, oh my!It’s hard to believe that Firelight is Kristen Callihan’s first published novel. Put this author on your to-read list! I can’t wait to read her next book, Moonglow coming out in August 2012.Thank you Netgalley and Grand Central Publishing for a review copy of this book.Review posted on Badass Book Reviews.