AH

AH@BadassBookReviews

This Side of the Grave (Night Huntress Series #5)

This Side of the Grave - Jeaniene Frost Ho hum. Meh. A little slow.I never would have thought that these would be words to describe a Cat and Bones book. I’ve always loved Cat and Bones and was looking forward to an enjoyable read. I found this book was slower paced and a little bit dull. Don’t get me wrong – there are some great and exciting scenes in the book, but for the most part, it was a dull read for me.Cat and Bones were a little bland for me this time. Bones is subdued, very calm. Yes, he is still as sexy as only Bones can be, but he doesn’t seem to have the Bones charm that he had in the earlier books. Married life, perhaps? Cat seems to have matured a little more and she seems to think before she speaks and acts. Mencheres, with all of his power, still felt like a flat character to me. I felt that his only concern was Kira and having sex with Kira. Nothing else really stands out about him. I was pleasantly surprised by several characters. I have grown to love Marie the ghoul queen. She is probably one of the most interesting characters in the book, if not the series. What a calculating, devious lady. Marie is certainly a scene stealer. I am looking forward to more of her in the next books. The story picked up when Vlad entered the picture. I love Vlad. To me, he seems like the real vampire. He also had a great line:”What the hell was that?” I gasped.“Premature inflamulation,” he replied. “Happens sometimes. Very embarrassing, I don’t like to talk about it.”Cat’s mother, Justina always seems to surprise me. In the latter books of the series she seems to take a “if life gives you lemons, make lemonade” attitude. She is becoming a favorite of mine.A Night Huntress book does not seem complete without the steaminess and sexiness of our lead duo, Cat and Bones. Chapter 21 delivers on the hotness factor. A very interesting use of candles, Cat. I did think that the chapter was kind of thrown in, like it didn’t belong so soon in the book, but I’ll take it. I also loved the scenes where Bones is teaching Cat how to fly. Cat’s fears and frustrations at her lack of flying ability and Bone’s confidence guiding her were very well done.On to the villain, Apollyon. As a villain, he wasn’t particularly evil, wicked, scary, or strong. I kind of saw him as an obstacle for Cat to overcome. The battle scenes were well done, but in the end we all knew what would be his outcome.For the OCD readers out there – if you are reading this series in order – a good way to read would be to read Night Huntress books 1 to 4, then go to Night Huntress World First Drop of Crimson and Eternal Kiss of Darkness before reading this book.