AH

AH@BadassBookReviews

Grave Peril (Dresden Files Series #3)

Grave Peril (Dresden Files Series #3) - Wow! I love Harry. This was an excellent way to spend a snowy winter’s day, cuddled up in front of the fire with every light on in my house because I was so scared and creeped out by parts of this book. Think of every scary monster you know and pretty much they are in this book. There are ghosts, demons, different kinds of vampires, fae, and even a dragon. Grave Peril is the third book in Jim Butcher’s Dresden Files series. Each book is better than the previous book. If this trend continues, and I hear that it does, I’ll be a very happy reader. What makes these books so good and so entertaining is Harry Dresden. Harry Dresden is an understated character. I enjoy his wit and his observations of the world that he lives in. When I read about Harry, I feel like I am watching an old time black and white detective movie, a film noir. But Harry still uses modern conveniences whenever possible, and whenever they don’t malfunction around his brand of magic.Harry has some wonderful friends. I love how Michael’s character seems to offset the dark magic that Harry needs to use. The juxtaposition between good and evil, magic and faith is done very well without getting preachy. Who knew that there could be so many different kinds of vampires? Red vampires, black vampires, and white vampires – I’ll take the white guys, please. Thomas was a white vampire and while I wasn’t pleased with some of the things he did, he did become a good ally for Harry. Harry has some pretty scary ladies in his life. I’m still not too keen on Susan, but I am glad that Harry has found someone. Michael’s wife Charity, was really scary at times, but she had good reason to act that way. The scariest lady in Harry’s life was Harry’s fae godmother, Lea. Lea is definitely a force to be reckoned with and Harry owes her. This book had a lot of action, sword fights, snarling vampires, and hell hounds. I feel bad for Harry, he takes a lot of hits. Part of the attraction of this series is how Harry thinks on his feet. His “aha” moments make the book so exhilarating.Can’t wait to get my hands on the next book, Summer Knight.