AH

AH@BadassBookReviews

Darkfever (Fever Series, Book 1)

Darkfever - Karen Marie Moning Reread January 2011 I've upped the stars for this book from 4 to 5. I can't even begin to say how much I am enjoying this series or this author's writing style. I love all of the characters, especially Mac. I understand that many people absolutely loathe her character, but upon reading this book a second time, I really do love her character and while she is a little spoiled, a little rainbowish, and a little naive, the development of her character from the beginning of the book (Mac 1.0) to the end of the book (Mac 2.0) is incredible. I am still wondering who or what Barrons is. Aside from his general hotness, Barrons is special. Barrons is really someone who I'd like to have on my side in the battle against the fae. Still haven't figured out who the Lord Master is. I suspect I may have to go back to the later Highlander books to compare descriptions.As I said in my earlier review, the world building is fantastic. I enjoyed the descriptions of Dublin seen through the eyes of a young, naive American girl. The fae lore was captivating.On to the next book....*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-I waited a few months to read this book. It was never at the library and I have vowed not to read series out of order.Darkfever is the story of MacKayla (Mac), a 22 year old girl who travels to Ireland to find her sister's murderer. She finds herself in the company of Jericho Barrons, a book seller and artifact hunter.I never realized how scary the faery world is. The descriptions of the Unseelie fae creatures were downright creepy, like your worst nightmare. I enjoyed the world that the author created. I liked the cultural references to other fictional characters. I found Mac to be a little high maintenance for a 22 year old (a lot of talk about clothing and makeup), but I felt that she developed as a character as the story progressed.