AH

AH@BadassBookReviews

First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World Series #1)

First Drop of Crimson - Jeaniene Frost Whoa, what a ride! I really did not expect such action and excitement when I first started reading this book. In fact, all I could think was that the two main characters were NOT Cat and Bones. I was sad. I missed the sexual energy that only Cat and Bones do so well – well, up to that 4th book, but we won’t go there.This is Spade and Denise’s story. Spade and Denise’s relationship begins as a business relationship. Spade is helping Denise locate a long lost relative who owes a debt to a demon. At first, I found their relationship kind of boring. After all, we have come to expect sparks and fire from that other couple. Spade is clearly attracted to Denise and has been for a long time. Denise is still grieving the loss of her husband at the hands of vampires. Denise suffers from post traumatic stress disorder and sees only blood and death when she is with vampires. Spade’s background story was revealed. Spade tells Denise about his youth as a Baron and takes her to his ancestral home in England. He tells her of his life as a prisoner shipped to New South Wales, and of his love for a human woman 150 years earlier. Spade has difficulty falling in love with a human woman because he fears that she will die prematurely. He constantly speaks of changing Denise into a vampire.There is some fascinating insight into the vampire world, its politics, laws, and customs. The politics were especially interesting because of all the negotiations. I really liked how these characters cared for each other. While the sexual tension that is a trademark of the Night Huntress series was not in this book, there was a very different kind of tension. A nice, slow building tension. It was sweet and passionate. And there was passion. Jeaniene Frost knows how to write those scenes very well. I can’t wait to read the next book in the series.