AH

AH@BadassBookReviews

Lover Avenged (Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book 7)

Lover Avenged - J.R. Ward If you are a fan of the Black Dagger Brotherhood series, then you’ll understand when I say that Lover Avenged is one of the best books in the series. Lover Avenged focuses on the fairly intimidating Rhev. Rhev is a businessman, a drug dealer, a man incapable of emotion or feeling. Rhev is portrayed as a man of many secrets, some of which are damaging to his position in the vampire world. Rhev is approached with a proposition that he kill Wrath, the vampire king. And with this proposition, our story unfolds.Rhev’s love interest is Ehlena. Ehlena comes from a “fallen” glymera family. She works as a nurse and takes care of her schizophrenic father. Ehlena meets Rhev at the clinic and takes an interest in Rhev. When Rhev is with Ehlena, he becomes a different person. He is smitten by her, he is loving and loyal. I enjoyed this book because it did not only focus on one of the Black Dagger Brothers (and technically Rhev is not a Brother). It focused on the relationships of the Brothers, especially Wrath and Beth. It always amazes me that these large, imposing men can be turned to mush by their small female. We also get a picture of Zsadist and Bella’s happy ever after life with their young, Nalla.I took a small dislike to John Matthew in this book. I found that he acted childish and impulsive. His relationship with Xhex was an exercise in miscommunication, although I blame both characters for that. I hear that may change in the next book. The sworn enemies of the Black Dagger Brotherhood and the Lessers are becoming more of a threat under the leadership of Lash. Lash is still as vile as he was in the earlier books. His leadership of the Lessers provides more cohesiveness to their attacks. J.R. Ward has a most special writing style. If English is not your first language, her slang and made up words must be daunting. Oftentimes, I would reread a sentence or two to figure out exactly what she meant. She does have a creative way of describing things – like “minimall sprawlopolis” and “phatasmagasm”, although I’ve been told that the latter word is in the Urban Dictionary. Off to read Lover Mine!